Monday, April 11, 2011

Tips To Make Meals & Snacks Easier Throughout The Week

How many times have you thrown away food because it went bad, especially produce?  You buy it at the store and have good intentions on eating all of it.  What is the hold back from eating it?

For me it was the prep it took before you could eat it!

Here are some tips that have helped me have better weeks with food:

1.  Make your grocery list and be practical about how much you are buying.  If you don't buy enough you can always go back to the store.  If you buy too much you waste the food.

2.  For produce, when you get home, cut and prepare those items that can be.  Clean and cut your peppers, onions, strawberries, grapes, cucumbers...If it is ready to eat you will likely eat it.  If you have to do the prep work and eat more likely you won't do it when you want the snack.  Prep your stuff for dinners too.  I had so many times when it came time for dinner and I was tired the last thing I wanted to do was clean, cut/chop...so then I would just do something easy instead of something healthy.

3.  Put out some veggies and fruits and let the kids snack on them throughout the day.  My kids love helping themselves when it is out on the counter for them.

4.  For snacks, buy some snack baggies and place snacks in the baggies so the kids or you can just grab and go.  This will also help you control portion sizes.  My kids think they need a whole sandwich baggie full of whatever snack they choose and I end up throwing half the bag away. What a waste.  So I can handle portion control with the snack baggies prepared.  A friend of mine using one of her draws in the frig for snacks the kids can eat whenever.

I do all my food prep when I get home from the grocery store so then I have no excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment