Thursday, March 10, 2011

We Are Raising Servants!

My son is 5 years old and I know he is capable of doing chores around the house.  Of course I ask myself "Which chores?".  Last week I started to experiment with what he could handle.  He didn't know it was an experiment:)

Last week, I showed him how to spray the dusting stuff on his cloth and how to dusting in rows- back and forth.  He did the WHOLE house!  I couldn't believe how well he did.  Let's just say he earned himself a job.

Today I sat down to fold laundry and put all of his clothes in one pile.  Off and on I have showed him how to do some folding but I have never had him fold all of his clothes and put them away but today was the day.  He did his pants, shirts, underwear, socks, PJ's...he even helped me with a few things too.  It was great.  Guess what- he earned himself another job!

In the evening, B is in charge of setting the table as well.  It might not be perfect but one more thing he can do to serve the family.

KeeKee, 2 years old, helps too.  She loves to clean so she helps clean with the vinegar and water on the floors or counters.  She is great at helping put the kids dishes and cups away from the dishwasher.

Some people may think why would you do this to a 5 year old and a 2 year old?  At my Mom 2 Mom study last Tuesday we discussed How to Be A Mother and a Person Too.  One of the main things I took from this study was this...
"This "servant season" is not forever; our children will grow up to serve us and others!" - as moms we think all we are just servants to our kids but it doesn't last forever.
AND the big thing I took away was...
"We are raising servants". 
I didn't say "slaves", I said "servants".

(I put these two says on my frig)


Also we were at our friends house on Saturday and the husband had just come home for a parents conference and one of the things he learned at a break out was "don't do for them what they can do for themselves"- to me that is responsibility.

Rant: I learned responsibility early on when one day my brother complained about his basketball clothes not being cleaned and from that day on we were in charge of our own laundry.  We learned young!

I want my children to be able to take care of themselves but ultimately serve others - their families, their friends, their church, their community.  Why not start early!

Plus as a mother why not get a break from doing everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment